Lab Tests in 10 Easy Steps at Vista Health System
1. Your physician writes an order for a lab test.
2. Vista Health System performs lab test from 6 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday – Friday.
You do not need an appointment. Walk-ins are gladly accepted.
Please bring: the written order from your physician, a picture ID and insurance cards.
3. Vista Health System is conveniently located at 1324 N. Sheridan Road, Waukegan.
Please use the free valet service. When you arrive at Vista you will go to Out Patient Registration. The staff will make a copy of your written order, ID and insurance cards. The registrar will also enter you into Vista’s computer system.
4. After you are entered into the computer system, you will be escorted to registration. Everyone who has lab work done must go through registration. The registrar will get you registered by ensuring that you have the proper documentation. After you are registered you will be escorted to Testing and Treatment.
5. The staff in the Testing and Treatment department will process you order and give the paperwork to the lab personnel. You will be asked to take a seat in the Testing and Treatment waiting area.
6. Once the lab personnel receives the processed orders, they will come to the Testing and Treatment waiting area and call your name. You will be taken back to the lab testing area, and the test will be administered.
7. Once the lab test is concluded, the specimen will be delivered to Vista Health System’s laboratory. Most tests are completed on site, and the results are faxed to the physician’s office within 24 hours.
8. Vista’s laboratory has six departments: chemistry, hematology, microbiology, serology, histology and blood bank. The specimen is received by the lab, and given to the appropriate department. The department will run the appropriate tests and fax the results to the physician.
9. Generally, your physician or the office will call you with the results. If you do not hear from your physician or the office in a couple of days, you may want to call them.
10. Copies of your results can be obtained from your physician or from Vista Health System. You can obtain copies of your results from Vista by coming to the hospital, 1324 N. Sheridan Road, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. The medical records department is located on the ground floor. You must have a photo ID. You will be given a copy of the “Patient Fact Sheet,” and asked to complete the authorization for release of health information form. After you have completed the authorization form, you will be asked to take a seat while your records are being copied. You will receive your results the same day your make the request for copies.
Vista Medical Center East
1324 N. Sheridan Road
Waukegan, IL 60085